IBM Factory Codes?
WBSTClarke
2020-01-15 05:50:48 UTC
I culled this list from an old reference about IBM typewriters:

IBM Factory Codes

2 Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
2 Belgium
8 Netherlands
10 Rochester, NY, USA
11 Lexington, KY, USA
16 Sweden
17 Switzerland
26 Austin, TX, USA
31 United Kingdom
35 France
40 Germany
43 Italy
44 Santa Palomba, Italy
51 Montpellier
*55* Greenock, Scotland
58 Amsterdam, Netherlands
65 Dublin, Ireland 93b
71 Germany
*72* Germany?
78 Guadalajara, Mexico
83 Dublin, Ireland 99b
90 Wangaratta, Australia
91 Canada
92 Canada
93 Canada

My additions marked *nn*, feel free to update.
Louis Ohland
2020-01-15 13:36:45 UTC
2 Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
2 Belgium
8 Netherlands
10 Rochester, NY, USA
11 Lexington, KY, USA
16 Sweden
17 Switzerland
26 Austin, TX, USA
31 United Kingdom
35 France
40 Germany
43 Italy
44 Santa Palomba, Italy
51 Montpellier
53 -I see this on chips. LFO
*55* Greenock, Scotland
58 Amsterdam, Netherlands
65 Dublin, Ireland 93b
71 Germany
*72* Germany?
78 Guadalajara, Mexico
83 Dublin, Ireland 99b
90 Wangaratta, Australia
91 Canada
92 Canada
93 Canada
Louis Ohland
2020-01-15 13:48:38 UTC
98 Tokyo ?
Post by WBSTClarke
2 Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
2 Belgium
8 Netherlands
10 Rochester, NY, USA
11 Lexington, KY, USA
16 Sweden
17 Switzerland
26 Austin, TX, USA
31 United Kingdom
35 France
40 Germany
43 Italy
44 Santa Palomba, Italy
51 Montpellier
53 -I see this on chips. LFO
*55* Greenock, Scotland
58 Amsterdam, Netherlands
65 Dublin, Ireland 93b
71 Germany
*72* Germany?
78 Guadalajara, Mexico
83 Dublin, Ireland 99b
90 Wangaratta, Australia
91 Canada
92 Canada
93 Canada
Louis Ohland
2020-01-15 14:08:36 UTC
24
27
98 - Japan
Post by WBSTClarke
2 Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
2 Belgium
8 Netherlands
10 Rochester, NY, USA
11 Lexington, KY, USA
16 Sweden
17 Switzerland
26 Austin, TX, USA
31 United Kingdom
35 France
40 Germany
43 Italy
44 Santa Palomba, Italy
51 Montpellier
53 -I see this on chips. LFO
*55* Greenock, Scotland
58 Amsterdam, Netherlands
65 Dublin, Ireland 93b
71 Germany
*72* Germany?
78 Guadalajara, Mexico
83 Dublin, Ireland 99b
90 Wangaratta, Australia
91 Canada
92 Canada
93 Canada
g***@aol.com
2020-01-15 18:41:18 UTC
Post by Louis Ohland
24
27
98 - Japan
Post by WBSTClarke
2 Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
2 Belgium
8 Netherlands
10 Rochester, NY, USA
11 Lexington, KY, USA
16 Sweden
17 Switzerland
26 Austin, TX, USA
31 United Kingdom
35 France
40 Germany
43 Italy
44 Santa Palomba, Italy
51 Montpellier
53 -I see this on chips. LFO
*55* Greenock, Scotland
58 Amsterdam, Netherlands
65 Dublin, Ireland 93b
71 Germany
*72* Germany?
78 Guadalajara, Mexico
83 Dublin, Ireland 99b
90 Wangaratta, Australia
91 Canada
92 Canada
93 Canada
I think 1 is Endicott where it all began.
WBSTClarke
2020-01-15 21:01:00 UTC
IBM Factory Codes
*1* Endicott, NY, USA
2 Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
2 Belgium
8 Netherlands
10 Rochester, NY, USA
11 Lexington, KY, USA
16 Sweden
17 Switzerland
*24* ?, ?, Japan?
26 Austin, TX, USA
*27* ?, ?, Japan?
31 United Kingdom
35 France
40 Germany
43 Italy
44 Santa Palomba, Italy
51 Montpellier
*53* ?, ?. USA?
*55* Greenock, Scotland
58 Amsterdam, Netherlands
65 Dublin, Ireland 93b
71 Germany
*72* Germany?
78 Guadalajara, Mexico
83 Dublin, Ireland 99b
90 Wangaratta, Australia
91 Canada
92 Canada
93 Canada
*98* ?, ?, Japan?

My and other's additions marked *nn*, feel free to update.
g***@aol.com
2020-01-15 23:37:34 UTC
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 13:01:00 -0800 (PST), WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
[...]
I suppose the real answer could be found on the IBM retiree group on
Facebook. I will ask there and see what they say. I might even be able
to get a PS/2 engineer to check in here but there are not many usenet
users around these days.
WBSTClarke
It's kind of interesting to know how many factories, and where, were involved in manufacturing the PS/2s over time. A real "geek" piece of info.
g***@aol.com
I think it goes something like Kingston, Boca, Austin in the US
WBSTClarke
Guadelahara, Mexico too?
WBSTClarke
Which is *23*, I recall that being mentioned.
IBMMuseum
Necro-thread revival - '23' is Guadelahara too? I thought it might be for multiple locations in the U.S. - Looking for more confirmation that '27' is Japan.
Tomas Slavotinek
2022-02-15 23:31:27 UTC
Post by IBMMuseum
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
[...]
I have never seen 27 in/on any Japanese system, adapter, or other HW.
Granted, my sample pool isn't that large and I wasn't specifically
looking for that code either. The most common codes are 97 (system
units) and 98 (ICs).

WIP:
https://ardent-tool.com/misc/Plant_Codes.html