For the PS/2 and MCA bus gamers
WBSTClarke
2020-06-09 21:07:08 UTC
For all the PS/2 and MCA bus gamers:

the OP hasn't followed the IBM recommended MIDI Mapper setup for either GM (General MIDI) mapping, or Standard or Extended mapping, but the M-ACPA is an advanced music record/playback adapter. Given the correct (386 and above) drivers it will handle almost anything that you can throw at it. DOS games should *only* specify the emulated SoundBlaster for music (WAV, MID format) and *not* the Sound Effects.

N.B. pay particular attention to the "loopback" feature for unhindered playback.

This is a five year old video, but I've not been in the habit of searching Youtube in the past, sorry.
Tomas Slavotinek
2020-06-09 21:38:20 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
http://youtu.be/qkk0YW_qd-Y
Oh yeah, VWestlife... I find his videos most relaxing to watch.
Post by WBSTClarke
N.B. pay particular attention to the "loopback" feature for unhindered playback.
Indeed. Here is the BBISHOP's video VWestlife talks about:

You can hear how odd it sounds if you don't take care of the loopback.
Hard to believe it has been 5 years since he uploaded that vid... damn.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-09 22:11:27 UTC
http://youtu.be/XfLtaKSZgoA
Lots of incomprehension about the process there, but the basics are covered. I've added comments about Option to Reference Diskette updating to both threads.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-09 22:19:15 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
This is a five year old video, but I've not been in the habit of searching Youtube in the past, sorry.
Hard to believe it has been 5 years since he uploaded that vid... damn.
Lots of incomprehension about the process there, but the basics are covered. I've added comments about Option to Reference Diskette updating to both threads.
To re-state the obvious:
https://www.calhountech.com/products/ibm-95f1288-refurbished.html
WBSTClarke
2020-06-09 23:30:41 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
This is a five year old video, but I've not been in the habit of searching Youtube in the past, sorry.
Hard to believe it has been 5 years since he uploaded that vid... damn.
Lots of incomprehension about the process there, but the basics are covered. I've added comments about Option to Reference Diskette updating to both threads.
https://www.calhountech.com/products/ibm-95f1288-refurbished.html
Typically the BLASTER variable should only specify one of the pre-SB16 Types, e.g.
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 T1/2 (for a mono 8-bit 22KHz playback, 12KHz record SB 1.0/1.5 with OPL2) or
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 T3 (for a stereo 8-bit 44KHz playback, 15KHz record SB 2.0 with OPL2) or
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 T4 (for a stereo 8-bit 44KHz playback, 22KHz record SB Pro with OPL2) or
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 T5 (for a stereo 8-bit 44KHz playback, 22KHz record SB Pro 2 with OPL3)
References / External Links
Oldskool.org Getting Old Software Running on Newer PCs - Sound
The Apogee FAQ - Setting the BLASTER environment variable
Mueller, Scott. Upgrading and Repairing PCs. Eleventh Edition. P. 324
WBSTClarke
2020-06-10 00:54:25 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
[...]
Just a quick bit of documentation of re-researched Sound adapter compatibility and issues for DOS/Windows games:

M-ACPA:
1) The original "SoundBlaster DOS/WIN 3.1n Compatibility" package (MACPAWIN.EXE self-extracting ZIP) linked from Louis's site uses an older ACPADD.SYS DOS driver and co-requisite ACPA.DLL. The comments point to only 22KHz mono support, thus requiring a limited BLASTER variable setting of:
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 T1 (or T2 at most)
with the M-ACPA configured for IRQ/Interrupt 5, and game Options *not* specifying SoundBlaster Effects, but PC Speaker, if available.
2) The modified "SoundBlaster DOS/WIN Compatibility" package (MACPAVDD.ZIP or similar) linked from Louis's site uses an older, minimal MINIDD.SYS and co-requisite ACPA.DLL in order to minimise RAM residence for game usage, and intends operation under MS-DOS 7+ or PC-DOS 7+ for the Windows 9n (95, 95OSR2,98, 98SE) environment and the DOS 386-extender TSR for SoundBlaster emulation trapping (i.e. EMM386.EXE *not* installed). Disabling the Win9n automatic startup requires editing the RHS attribute text file MSDOS.SYS in the root directory, to set:

BootGUI=0 and
Logo=0

The full Windows 9n GUI may then be started with the WIN command and exited with ALT+F4.

N.B. DOS games based upon built-in 386-DOS Extenders (Pharlap's or DOS4/G or /GW etc.) *cannot* take advantage of the 386-virtual mode SoundBlaster Emulator TSR, obviously, unless run in an OS/2 DOS Box or similar, which is entirely different. I cannot speak to the detailed implementation necessities.

mWave Windsurfer:
1) This multi-function adapter is based upon one of the member of the TI TMS320 Family DSPs, but provides many more capabilities, due a later, more capable DSP and its greater complement of co-requisite TMS320 task modules (*.DSP) loaded into its memory by the DOS/OS2 base adapter/task manager interface driver (ACPADD[2].SYS), dependent upon OS environment. It can operate as a CD-ROM interface (Sony or Panasonic ATAPI), sound card and answerphone, based upon the DSP tasks loaded and the co-requisite interrupt handling driver's capabilities..
2) This and its installation and support packages are the source of much of the M-ACPA SoundBlaster Emulation capability, combined with the (Device Driver Kit) DDK for the M-ACPA and knowledgeable programming skills. The specific Microsoft MultiMedia Extensions compatible DSP task code is IBMMME.DSP.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-14 14:32:18 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
[...]
After rummaging around the PCCBBS mirror and jumping through a number of hoops with them, it appears the Mwave Windsurfer page's download files aren't correct for it and are for the Ambra Achiever's "MultiMedia Modem (Plus)" ISA version. The unfortunate aspect being that uses entirely different I/O ports and a configuration utility (DOS and OS/2 versions). Still trying to get my head around the mutiple versions of Mwave based adapters/cards, but progress has been made.

Useful doc. link for the Multimedia Modem Plus:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/ambra/mmmpuser.pdf
No Deal
2020-06-14 18:12:03 UTC
I still can't quite figure out how to get it working. Tried on both WFW 3.11 and Windows 95. Maybe my M-ACPA is faulty. Even with the great driver from Peter iirc (without installing sound blaster compatibility) my MACPA outputs a terrible buzz noise with or without anything plugged into any jacks.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-15 03:55:38 UTC
You *MUST* have something plugged into either the line-in or line-out sockets to disable the loopback feature, that's why you're getting the buzzing. Also, position the adapter as far away from any other adapter etc. that will be generating RF noise. If the relative mixer volumes haven't been set, all volumes will be at maximum. The README text files should have covered all these points.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-15 04:08:43 UTC
No Deal
2020-06-17 19:04:19 UTC
Hmm, getting an MCA bus timeout error : system halted bluescreen on starting windows 95 now. I can get it working again by removing the SB compatibility stuff... Oof.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-18 00:24:56 UTC
Patience, I've almost got a test system set up. What's your system base and its details?
No Deal
2020-06-18 00:49:01 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by No Deal
Hmm, getting an MCA bus timeout error : system halted bluescreen on starting windows 95 now. I can get it working again by removing the SB compatibility stuff... Oof.
Patience, I've almost got a test system set up. What's your system base and its details?
9595/A
Pentium 66 complex with BIOS 08
2x 2.88 MB floppies
Nakamichi CD Changer
16 MB RAM
M/ACPA
SCSI Corvette 92F0160
SCSI2SD v6
3com Etherlink III
XGA-2
Windows 95 OSR 2.5

So close to peak 9595. Just need this SB support =P ( And a P90... )
Lionel Harris
2020-06-18 05:23:48 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by No Deal
Hmm, getting an MCA bus timeout error : system halted bluescreen on starting windows 95 now. I can get it working again by removing the SB compatibility stuff... Oof.
Patience, I've almost got a test system set up. What's your system base and its details?
I'm willing to give this a try too.

8560-041
486SLC2
13MB RAM
AHA-1640 SCSI
IBM Audiovation - but I also have an M/ACPA I can plug in
3com Etherlink/MC with 10BaseT transciever
Radius MV24, but a Cirrus Logic SVGA is on the way.
DOS/Windows for Workgroups 3.11, but willing to try Windows 95- Though I have no idea how it will turn out.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-18 15:13:00 UTC
Post by Lionel Harris
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by No Deal
Hmm, getting an MCA bus timeout error : system halted bluescreen on starting windows 95 now. I can get it working again by removing the SB compatibility stuff... Oof.
Patience, I've almost got a test system set up. What's your system base and its details?
I'm willing to give this a try too.
8560-041
486SLC2
13MB RAM
AHA-1640 SCSI
IBM Audiovation - but I also have an M/ACPA I can plug in
3com Etherlink/MC with 10BaseT transciever
Radius MV24, but a Cirrus Logic SVGA is on the way.
DOS/Windows for Workgroups 3.11, but willing to try Windows 95- Though I have no idea how it will turn out.
OK people, First successful step:
Download the DOS/Windows 3.1x "Enhanced 386 mode" (i.e. not compatible with Windows Standard or 286 HIMEM mode) support package
M-Audio Support files for Windows 3.1:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/sound/macpawin.exe

Read the README, paying SPECIAL ATTENTION to the loopback feature! i.e. have something, *anything* plugged into either the 3.5mm stereo line-in or line-out sockets to disable loopback! (Micro-switches in the sockets).

Follow the installation instructions... Either have headphones plugged into the "bottom" socket or cross your fingers that the MCA bus Audio line is being routed to the speaker. Also external, powered active speakers may be used connected to either the headphones or line-out sockets (dependent upon compatible amperage and resistance characteristics).

MIDI Mapper:
Pre-dating the General MIDI file standards, Microsoft .MID files (e.g. CANYON.MID) contain two mappings - Basic (Channels 13-16) and Extended (Channels 1-10). Create all three Mapper Setups "ACPA Base MIDI", "ACPA Ext. MIDI" and "ACPA Gen. MIDI", for selection dependent upon the types of MIDI files that you wish to playback.

The "ACPA Base MIDI" map set *must* only enable Channels 13 to 16 to the same output channels.

The "ACPA Ext. MIDI" map set *must* only enable Channels 1 to 10 to the same output channels.

The "ACPA Gen. MIDI" map set *must* route input Channel 16 to output Channel 10 to correctly assign the GM Percussion channel to the M-ACPA Percussion waveforms, otherwise it's a full 1-1 16-Channel map.

Once you've played with that successfully, you can go back to set up the DOS stuff, if required.
N.B. the Windows Enhanced 386 mode setup *does not* require the DOS drivers! Details to follow.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-19 11:39:47 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by Lionel Harris
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by No Deal
[...]
Update:
The MACPACSD.EXE is to apply service to the v1.02 Windows 3.1x package MACPAWIN.EXE and upgrade the driver to v1.03. Currently only available from Tomas's site:
https://www.ardent-tool.com/sound/macpacsd.exe
I will be merging those files into a .ZIP and possibly an .IMG file for future publication, to simplify the plethora of related files (Self-extracting, 720KB diskette-creating and other formats).

The three separate archive files MACPAB1.EXE, MACPAB2.EXE and MACPADOC.COM form a set, which need extracting, processing and combining into a .ZIP and/or .IMG set for simplicity and for future publication.

Still working on what is the best and latest DOS base package, for upgrade with the V8086 DOS SoundBlaster emulation.

Win 9x comes after that...
No Deal
2020-06-20 23:08:15 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by Lionel Harris
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by No Deal
[...]
Hey, these worked on Windows 95. Can play midi, hear the startup sound, all of that stuff.

Now just need SoundBlaster support.
WBSTClarke
2020-06-23 08:26:59 UTC
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by Lionel Harris
Post by WBSTClarke
Post by No Deal
[...]
for probing for supported adapters, the IBM Adapter Interface Library V2.14 (predecessor to the Miles Sound System) has some useful testing and demo programs in it:
http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/misc/AIL2.ZIP
WBSTClarke
2020-06-25 17:08:27 UTC